Editor’s note: This blog post was originally published in September 2016 and has since been updated to incorporate the latest promotional apparel data from Advertising Specialty Institute (ASI).
You want to promote your business, organization or agency. It’s a job promotional apparel is meant to do!
If you’re worried button-down oxfords or screen-printed t-shirts aren’t quite right for you… we’re excited for you to meet the new generation of logoed apparel. Yes, promotional dress shirts are still around. And, logoed t-shirts are too. But, today’s promotional apparel includes hoodies, flannels, scarves, vests, visors, pants, and more! Maybe that’s why so many people own it.
Apparel is an ever-popular promotional item
A recent survey finds 80% of American consumers own a promotional shirt (PDF). Sixty-nine percent own promotional headwear. And 67% own comfy promotional outerwear. With over 120 million households in the U.S, we’re talking tens of millions of people wearing branded apparel.
What’s more, people wear it at the office and in real life. This means logoed clothing is constantly building brand awareness. In fact, three of the top 10 promotional products in the U.S. are apparel:
Follow the 5 Ts of promotional clothing
To make sure you’re getting the most out of your logo wear, choose styles your customers or employees will wear again and again. Here’s how to do just that.
First, you need to know who will be wearing the clothing. Men? Women? Children? Is it for people within your organization or outside? Do they prefer dressy, corporate apparel or something sporty? Knowing who will be rocking your logoed apparel is the first step in determining which clothing to choose.
The time of year matters. Where will your message be seen? For example, during cooler weather, sweaters, knit caps or insulated jackets help keep your name and message on the outside instead of hidden under layers of clothing.
Tailored to your audience
Whatever promotional apparel you choose, pick a style your recipients will love. High-quality items will stand the test of time, be worn again and again, and reflect well on your brand.
Types of apparel
Once you know your target, choose the appropriate branded apparel. Among the most popular options:
- Logoed T-shirts: These are the most versatile products available and include everything from fashion T-shirts to performance athletic tees. With an almost infinite combination of styles, fabrics, sizes and colors to choose from, logoed T-shirts are a cost-effective way to build brand awareness.
- Promotional polo shirts: Half-dressy and half-casual, a promotional polo shirt is the go-to item for corporate environments, from the office to the golf course and everywhere in between. For an even more quality look, embroider your logo or message on the left.
- Imprinted sweatshirts: Nothing says comfort and relaxation like fleece, especially the fashionable—yet practical—classic hoodie. Along with outerwear, fleece is also the most effective promotional product for ages 18–44.
- Branded outerwear: Branded jackets and vests are available in many different weights and styles and are perfect for keeping your logo visible in any type of weather. And if they’re well-made and look good, they’re kept more often than other promotional clothing.
- Personalized headwear: People hang onto hats for two reasons: They’re eye-catching and incredibly useful. Plus, they’re worn year-round, putting your brand front and center. Promotional baseball caps and visors are popular hat choices.
Whenever you’re giving promotional clothing to an employee or customer, make it useful, attractive and modern. Doing so gives people more reasons to wear (and love) your branded apparel.
Building brand awareness through promotional apparel
With new styles of logoed apparel being added all the time, it’s easier than ever to find a style that fits your organization. Follow the 5 T’s when choosing promotional apparel and you’ll be sure people will love wearing your brand again and again.