In a global consumer survey of the most popular New Year’s resolutions in 2021, establishing healthy habits topped the charts. Close to half (44%) of respondents resolved to exercise more, and 42% said they would like to eat healthier. The good news is: Although New Year’s Day is a popular time to make different choices, it isn’t the only day you can start creating healthy habits. Encourage your employees to create and maintain good habits with the help of healthy giveaways.
The next time you want to offer support, incorporate healthy promotional items to kick off your wellness program or as a way to encourage employees to create goals around establishing healthy habits.
Habit #1: Go for a walk
When it comes to healthy habits, even 10 minutes of light exercise per week is enough to reduce the risk of death. That’s a big payout for something so simple.
A pedometer that tracks steps and lets them time their walks can be a great way to get your team to take the first step toward better health. They can also use the timer to track other exercises, like a 10-minute workout or simple yoga session.
Habit #2: Eat more plants
When hunger strikes, it’s easy to reach for something that will satisfy a craving, whether it’s candy, fast food or a sugary drink. In fact, according to the most recent data from the CDC, only 1 in 10 people eat the recommended servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
To encourage staff to get more fruits and veggies in their diets, try healthy promotional items, like a:
- Grow Your Own Pepper Garden to promote eating healthy and getting outdoors.
- Portion-control container to help them grab the right amount of fruit or leafy greens.
- Veggie spiralizer that offers a new way to get vegetables into their favorite recipes.
Habit #3: Create a nightly routine
Encourage staff to build a nightly routine that eliminates electronics and other distractions before bed. Help support them in creating this new nighttime habit by providing a healthy giveaway they can use to wind down in lieu of screen time. They can:
- Get creative with an adult coloring book.
- Journal about something good that happened that day.
- Use a massage ball to give sore muscles some care.
Habit #4: Give up smoking
- Assorted gum is a great alternative to picking up a cigarette.
- A hand grip exerciser adds physical activity to their day and helps keep their hands busy.
- Essential oils help them relax.
Habit #5: Avoid the sun
More than 3 million people are diagnosed with skin cancer every year. While fresh air and sunshine are good for the mind and body, it’s equally as important to practice sun safety, including:
- Staying in the shade.
- Covering arms and legs.
- Protecting eyes and skin. Healthy promotional items, like sunglasses, a wide-brimmed bucket hat and SPF-30 sunscreen, can help.
Here’s to good health
When you support your staff with healthy giveaways, they’re better able to build the habits that help them feel good, care for their families better, and perform better at work. And that’s good for everyone.