Consumers love digital content! Consumption of this type of media has climbed exponentially since 2008—from just 2.7 hours a day to 5.6 hours. The love for digital isn’t the only thing growing. In 2010, only 3 percent of consumers owned a tablet. Today, more than half either own or have access to one, and 73 percent use a tablet to access articles online.
The love for digital, easy access content via mobile devices and the ease of distribution for publishers has given rise to the digital magazine. In fact, one in three U.S. adults with Internet access has read a digital magazine in the past 30 days. If your organization is looking to enhance its content strategy to further engage and provide value to its customers, you may want to look to digital magazines.
The benefits of digital magazines
Digital magazines can be the perfect addition to your marketing mix. This content marketing addition may help improve customer retention, increase word-of-mouth marketing and attract new customers. Other benefits include:
- Fresh content: The auto-update capabilities provide readers with fresh and relevant content, ensuring readers are up to speed with what’s going on in your company.
- Distribution and readership: Digital publications can be distributed to anyone, anywhere as long as the means to view it is available. Fifty-eight percent of digital publications are read the same day they arrive.
- Cost savings and flexibility: A digital magazine has no per-copy publication cost, which means no additional waste for unsold copies. Plus, few layout limitations exist, allowing for easy customization without additional costs.
- Measurement: You have the ability to measure demographic information, and which articles are read most, for how long and on which days of the week.
The advantages of digital magazines aren’t only for publishers. Consumers love digital content, too! Immediate delivery, portability and sustainability are the top reasons why.
If digital magazines are on your company’s horizon, you’ll want to take note of these design trends and best practices:
- Layout: Layout should allow for viewing in portrait or landscape mode.
- Navigation: On-page cues or a separate help page should be included to assist with navigation.
- Imagery: High quality, digital imagery is an essential component.
- Interactivity: Movable text, interactive calls-to-action and engaging audio, videos and slideshows provide additional value.
- Social share buttons: Social buttons ensure content is easily shared.
- Bookmarks: The bookmark option allows readers to easily navigate back to a page.
Finally, help readers find your digital publication and encourage downloads with promotion. Some ideas include:
- Cross-promotion: Include links on your Internet homepage and imprint hard copies with quick response (QR) codes for easy download.
- Freebies and special offers: Consider offering a free trial subscription, discount on a future purchase or a free promotional item with download. Perhaps a tablet sleeve or entry into a prize draw for a power bank or folding Bluetooth® keyboard.
- Reviews and ratings: Sixty-one percent of consumers rely on reviews when making purchase decisions. Make sure your publication has ratings by incentivizing consumers to offer feedback. Perhaps with a chance to win a set of Bluetooth® ear buds or a speaker.
- Social media: Use your social media outlets to promote new issues, share stories and post images.
Improve customer retention, increase word-of-mouth marketing and, in turn, attract new customers with digital magazines. For more information on the subject, check out our Blue Paper.
“How interactive content can benefit your brand.” Montrose Creative. N.p., n.d. Web. Retrieved 08 Sept. 2015.
Tosi, Donna. “Ten Advantages of Digital Magazines.” Mirabel Technologies Inc. N.p., 19 Jan. 2014. Web. Retrieved 08 Sept. 2015.
“Digital Magazines.” 4imprint Learning Center. N.p., 22 Dec. 2015. Web. Retrieved 30 Dec. 2015.