Starting to plan for Teacher Appreciation Day? Here are 6 ideas they’ll love!
National Teacher Appreciation Day is the first Tuesday of the first full week in May. This year, on Tuesday, May 2, our country’s nearly 3.1 million public school teachers and 442,000 private school teachers will be honored for their invaluable contributions. Here are some ways to show gratitude.
- Host an appreciation breakfast: Organizing a nice breakfast for teachers is a great gift for Teacher Appreciation Day. The standard continental breakfast will do, but if you want to give them the royal treatment, go with a barista or an omelet chef, and take custom orders. Send teachers on their way with a gift of gratitude, such as a tumbler or logo’d lunch bag.
- Record a video: Pull students aside during recess or study hall and record them giving brief testimonials. Students needing inspiration can reflect on what they like most about their teacher, their favorite lessons or how teachers make school a better place. Present videos at a student assembly or the appreciation breakfast. Teachers may like to keep their gift on a logo’d USB drive.
- Snap a photo: They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so take a class photograph as an appreciation gift for teachers. Organize it during recess or before or after school. Present the picture in a frame imprinted with the school logo and year. Have students sign the back as an added touch!
- Give ‘em a break: Arrange for the principal or support staff to take over class for an hour to give teachers a break. Use this time for to express appreciation for teachers by having students write thank-you letters. Teachers will be grateful for the extra time away, but they’ll especially love coming back to a heartfelt thank-you gift.
- Satisfy their sweet tooth: Not into the sentimental stuff? Go sweet. Imprint a thank you message on a Snack Attack Jar to show your staff the love!
- Provide a little pampering Go big for Teacher Appreciation Day—hire a massage therapist for the day (one who travels with a chair, of course). Set up shop in the teachers’ lounge and invite staff to get a free chair massage during prep or break time. You may even want to raffle off mobile sport massagers for those who participate.
There are countless other ideas for Teacher Appreciation Day. Choose one of these, or one of your own, to show thanks and gratitude to your district’s educators. Happy Teacher Appreciation Day!