If you haven’t had the chance to read David Paterson’s blog chronicling his amazing journey to this year’s Sundance Film Festival, you really should check it out. It’s a unique opportunity to follow a dream as told by the dreamer (it doesn’t hurt that the dreamer in question is a gifted story teller and can make you laugh hard enough to cry or run to the restroom – or both!).
What does his dream have to do with promotional products, or business, or anything else I should find on site hosted by 4imprint?
The parallels between David’s effort to get his self-financed movie the notoriety it deserves and small, start-up businesses are striking. There lessons are there for the taking:
- You must have passion and believe in what you’re doing. It’s the fuel that keeps you going. It also allows you to attract the attention of others that you’ll surely need to succeed.
- Ask for help; look to partner. Sponsors didn’t find David, David found them. In the case of our relationship he called on people he worked with in the past to see if we could work together in the future.
- Look for the win/win. In every aspect of working with David, he’s gone out of his way to make sure that the people he’s working with are receiving value (in our case having him share his story with you) in equal proportion to the value received in return.
- Do more with less. His story is filled with little things that demonstrate how something small can turn into something big if you take the extra time to be creative.
- Never stop promoting. If your dream is to become reality, you’ve got to look for every opportunity (big and small, mass market and one-to-one) to promote.
- Don’t lose your sense of humor. It’s allows you to connect with people (see the point above about promoting!). It also allows you to keep your sanity.
I’m sure there are many more lessons woven into the fabric of this story. If you find them, please share them. You’ll be helping somebody else who is busy pursuing their dream!
Submit your review